Want to donate blood blood as an individual?
Head to the Port Moresby General Hospital Blood Bank. Walk in between 9am and 3pm daily to make a life saving blood donation. Your decision could save up to 3 lives.
Port Moresby General Hospital
3 Mile, Taurama Road, National Capital District
Port Moresby, Papua new Guinea
General Enquires (675) 324-8200.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 3248100 or 3248200.
Safe blood saves lives and improves health. Blood is vital to life and for many people blood donors are their lifeline. Currently only 1 in 30 people give blood, but 1in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime. Modern processing techniques mean that a single blood donation, when separated into its components, can help at least 3 different patients and contribute to making up to 22 different products (including potentially life-saving immunisations for chicken pox, hepatitis B and tetanus). There is a constant need for regular blood supply because blood can be stored for only a limited time before use. Regular blood donations by a sufficient number of healthy people is needed to ensure that safe blood will be available whenever and wherever it is needed. Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person its the gift of life. A decision to donate your blood can save a life, or even several if your blood is separated into its components – red cells, platelets and plasma, which can be used individually for patients with specific conditions.
Blood transfusion is needed for:
- women with complications of pregnancy, such as ectopic pregnancies and haemorrhage before, during or after childbirth;
- children with severe anaemia often resulting from malaria or malnutrition;
- people with severe trauma following accidents; and
- many surgical and cancer patients.
- Regular transfusions for people with conditions such as thalassaemia and sickle cell disease and is used to make products such as clotting factors for people with haemophilia.